Tuesday, January 11, 2011

GOOSEBERRY PATCH - "Dinner$ on a Dime" review!

I love to cook! But I especially love to cook when the recipes are easy and come out tasting yummy too! I recently found a Gooseberry Patch cookbook at a local store. I've always been a fan of the company, but never had bought any of their cookbooks. I've always been more of a "search the Internet and see what I find" kinda cook! Don't get me wrong, I have lots of cookbooks sitting over in the corner of my counter looking all pretty and organized. But for some reason, I just never feel the urge to pick them up. But so far it has been different with "Dinner$ on a Dime". In the last week I have cooked 3 of the recipes included in the cookbook and I have another in the crock pot for tonight!


One of the things that I love most about this cookbook is all of the Tips & Tricks that are included. As well as all of the money saving techniques that everyone could benefit from! As I look at the recipe for "Picnic Hot Dog Surprise" (located on page 26) I notice a note at the bottom of the page which says: "When the weather is nice, carry dinner outdoors to the backyard for a picnic. You'll be making memories together...and just about anything tastes even better outdoors!" Other Tips & Tricks:
I've made several recipes already from this cookbook but for the purpose of this review I made:

Stuffed Cabbage Soup (page 46)
Carolyn Helewski
Arcadia, FL
We just loved my mom's stuffed cabbage, but it took so long to prepare. I took all of the ingredients she used and turned it into a soup that is a lot quicker and tastes just like the original!
1 pound ground beef
garlic powder, salt and pepper to taste
2 14-1/2 ounce cans beef broth
3-2/3 cup water
2 10-3/4 ounce cans tomato soup
1 4.4 ounce can sauerkraut
1/2 head cabbage, chopped
1 cup cooked rice
Brown beef in a large soup pot over medium heat; drain. Sprinkle with garlic powder, salt and pepper.
Add broth water, soup and undrained sauerkraut; stir until mixed well. Mix in cabbage and rice; bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for one hour. Makes 10 servings.

A splash of cider vinegar adds zing to any cabbage dish.

Over all I find the cookbook very easy to use and very easy to understand. The recipes are straightforward and so far have proven to be accurate and correct! I love all of the extras that are included and enjoy reading them too. I can't wait to continue to try more recipes. This cookbook will be sitting nicely next to my stove for some time to come!

If you would like to find out more about Gooseberry Patch and their other cookbooks and/or products available, you can go to their website. They can also be found on Facebook (please let them know that I sent you)!
 

1 comments:

Gooseberry Patch said...

Great review, Erica...thanks for all your kind words about our cookbook! We're so glad you're enjoying it and really appreciate your feature here. Feel free to post a link on our wall at www.facebook.com/gooseberrypatch

Thanks again!