Thursday, January 20, 2011

Chicken Coop Solutions!

I mentioned earlier this week that my hens were only using 1 out of the 3 nesting boxes provided for them! This morning I went out to let them out for the day, feed & water them and check for eggs. I was pleasantly surprised to find eggs in 2 out of the 3 today!!! I think that maybe because I have more hens laying they needed the other box (finally). I did find one on the ground and one out in the run! I guess that happens from time to time! Maybe once I am able to keep more nesting material in the boxes they will lay all of their eggs there!!

Which brings me to the next problem that I have already mentioned. The lip on the front of the box is too short. My Dad is going to help me put a taller one on it (his payment will be in the form of eggs). Hopefully once this is in place the wood shavings and hay will stay in place! Stay tuned to find out if it works or not!!

I'm happy to report that yesterday I got 4 eggs and so far today I have gotten 6! So that means that (most likely) at least 6 of the hens are now laying! This is so much fun - I love having them and I'm enjoying it very much!!

1 comments:

Lots of Fun with My FaMiLy said...

I have been reading your blog this morning thanks to Real Mom Reviews Swinging By Sunday :)
I am your newest follower.
Tish
http://lotsoffunwithmyfamily.blogspot.com